Hi, my name is Rachel! Welcome to my modest abode. This blog is my platform for expressing ideas on style that reflect women confident of their own beauty and worth without the need to put out because of public pressure through a creative mix of vintage and modern apparel.
My favorite styles are based on my love of past decades’ pop or underground culture, music, movies/shows, and art scene. I simply love the conservative but shapely women of the 50s and the vibrancy of the 60s. I look to American, French, and Russian beauties for makeup inspiration. The designers that capture my imagination include Pucci, Ann Demeulemeester, Rick Owens, and Helmut Lang.
Spirituality & Faith
I am a Christian. I believe there is one God, and He sent his son Jesus Christ to die for us so that we may have a way to heaven. I am also open to what other ancient scriptures and text, religious or not, say about the condition of the world and how we must act. I find that almost all of them have parallel messages with the Christian faith.
Yoga & Health
Yoga is a way of living primarily. Its detoxification effects and exercise are secondary to me. I connect mostly with the Creator through Jnana and Bhakti Yoga, reason and devotion respectively. I follow the Bulletproof way of eating (high saturated fat + organic + low mycotoxins + grass fed + low carb + gluten free + no sugar). I am a certified fitness instructor.
As for the music, the late 70s and early 80s tunes are my life’s soundtracks. I am obsessed with new wave, synthpop, and post punk—but I like a good variety. The Pixies, The Cure, Metric, Depeche Mode, Raveonettes are just but a few on my list. Movies that I gravitate towards are dystopian sci-fi, psychological, fantasy, biopics, and documentaries of interest—but of course, I also love a good laugh. I am attracted to postmodern books, but they make me somewhat anxious. Would you like to read my posts on music or movies?
Web & Graphic Design
I started making websites when I was 10 or 11 years old around the late 90s. I went to school for IT (Web Development + Computer Graphics), but now I blog and sell vintage online with my husband Rob. We are both Christians and conservatives.
To learn more about what this blog stands for, here are some of my essential posts from Philosophy category of À LA MODEST:
- The Story Behind à la Modest
- Salt & Light Apply to Clothing
- War on Women: What Would Women Do?
- The 7 Common Reactions to Style
- The Modern Woman’s Pre-Marital To-Do List
- Modesty DOES Matter: A Reply to Relevant Magazine
- Invisibility Cloak: The Desire to be Noticed
- Are You a Cosmo Girl or a Kosmios Girl?
- Modesty and Romance
(Interviews & special mentions)
Contact me for questions!
- Independent Fashion Bloggers – Jan 2 | Jan 30 | March 18 | May 1 | Sept 25 | Oct 9 |
- Strength For Her Task – Jan 25 Honesty Not Modesty in the Bedroom
- La Voici – 7-22 |
- Michal Golan – Jul 11 Garnet Hamsa
- Boulevard of Chic – Nov 8 Featured Blogger |
- First Site Guide – Nov 11 Interview |
- Independent Fashion Bloggers – June 20 | June 27 | August 1 | Dec 19 | Dec 26
- Wow Effect Oct 28 – Rachel Dahl: outfits that combines womanliness and feminism
- Christine Lingerie Oct 1 – Christine Hearts À LA MODEST – screen cap | Dec 18 A la Modest Rachel Dahl Wears Christine
- USC Social Work – Today is Suicide Awareness and Prevention Blog Day
- Orchard Corset: Jan 14 : Corsets Not Just for Waist Training
- Skinny Scoop June Top 25 Feminist + Political Blogs
- StyleBizarre – April The Shallow and The Conscious
- Hit-Bag – Interview July 4
- Suite 101: How to Look Good in Vintage Fashion
- Free News POS – Mad Men Outfit
2012 (I was MIA.)
- 33 Avenue Miquelon – Follow Friday | Follow Friday – Farewell 2012, Hello 2013 Edition Vol. 1
- Independent Fashion Bloggers – Jan 20 | March 3 | March 14
- 33 Avenue Miquelon – Le Suivre Vendredi
- For Those About to Shop – Fashion is a feminist issue
- Random Ramblings of a Recovering Ranter – A La Modest: Rencontre De La Mode Fun!
- L’Express – Chez Elles #12 : Du côté des blogueuses mode chrétiennes pour les JMJ
- This is Vintage Now
- Jesus Couture – A la Modest personal style
- Fashion Fancy – Why So Immodest?
- Independent Fashion Bloggers June 11| June 17 | July 24 | August 16 | August 26 | Sept 2 | Sept 9 | Oct 7 | Oct 28 | Nov 4 | Dec 16 |
- Market Publique – July How Do you Wear Your Vintage (selections from our weardrobe contest-part 3, ladylike) (link broken: image saved here)
- Hypeed- Age of Vintage | The Cape Shape |
- For Those About to Shop Fashion that Repels |
- Trendtation- 2010 Sept 1 | Dec 26 |
- Empowered Traditionalist – May 16 | July 23 | August 30 |
- This Christian Lady – July 18 | July 29 |
- Ruby-Eyed Okapi – Sept 13 (mirror) | Dec 29 |
- What I Wear, What I Do, and Why I Did It- Oct 13 |
- Suddenly Darling – August | October | (archive here)
- Least in the Kingdom – June 28
- MoMoMod – June 23| July 2 |
- Femina Online- August 24
- Modesty is Pretty- July 1
- Virtuous Girlhood – articles I wrote (republished)
- Mary Margaret Modesty is just so hard to find – Oct 31
- Wikipedia image
- Modestly Yours – Some Modest Tricks for Spring
- Sakura Rose – Fall Fashion Giveaway
- Marie Loves – Link Love – Odds & Ends
This work by alamodest.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License